Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

MRI (the result)

I went back to the hospital to get the MRI results on my right knee, and went straight to see my sports doctor.

While waiting, I can't help and called Doc Topher to read the results to understand what's wrong with my right knee. But in the middle of our conversation, I was already called in by the nurse.

My sports doctor then checked my history (was initially diagnosed with a meniscal tear, because of my previous sports - basketball and badminton), and asked me to lie down to check by flexing and twisting to know where the pain on my right knee is emanating.


Image Source: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00358


The last time he checked on me was last December, and I told him that I ran a number of marathons (some are ultras) since then. And that the soreness appeared during the Milo Marathon last July 4.

He told me that if I'm really keen on addressing the pain and be more aggressive in dealing with it, I may need to undergo arthroscopic surgery. This is for him to see exactly what's wrong inside my knee, and to perform necessary corrections to allow my knees to heal completely. Further, he told me that I'll be walking two [2] days after the operation, will undergo rehabilitation for a month or two, and I'll be back to my running.

Hmmnnn.... That really shook me BIG TIME! I mean, I'm no competitive runner. And I'm no professional athlete. And I'm going to subject myself to a surgery?

I did some research about meniscal tear (click here for the best article I found so far). I also informed my uncle, who is also a marathoner and orthopedic, about my condition, and I was asked to visit his clinic for some checks and guidance.

Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  August 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

Hi Jet. I was going to mention about a second opinion when I saw the last paragraph. I went through that in 2007 with the achilles tendon injury. The doctor told me surgery which probably would have ended my career. I got a second opinion and it was no running for several months. I chose that option. Fortunately, the tendon is 100% now.

Thanks for posting this. There have been some athletes who've avoided surgery with a meniscal tear. Take care - my thoughts are with you right now.

run unlimited August 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Hmmm, iba ka Jet. Ka-level ka na nina Kobe Bryant ha. I hope it's the other way around.

Anonymous,  August 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

I have a feeling that we have the same problem, but I always forgot to go (or always have an excuse not to go) for an MRI despite my doctor's referral. Scary! Hope you heal well Jet! That initial verdict was too hard to swallow.

- dhenz

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP